This medal was established on 23 September 1770 by Empress Catherine II to commemorate the naval battle of Chesma, which took place in the straits of the Aegan island of Chios. The numerically superior Turkish fleet was defeated by the Russian fleet near Chesma.
The obverse of the silver medal shows the bust of Empress Catherine facing right with the circumscription signifying: "By the Grace of God Catherine II Empress and Autocrat of All Russias".
The reverse shows in great details the final scene of the battle in the bay of Chesma with four Russian warships confronting the fiercely burning Turkish fleet.
The signature of the engraver: "T. Ivanov" is placed under the bust of the Empress.