Saint George Medal For Bravery, Instituted on August 3, 1878
Came in four classes and when first instituted was given to non-commisioned officers and enlisted men for outstanding merit on the border. In 1913, the Medal for Bravery was renamed the St. George Medal and was awarded to enlisted men and non-commisioned officers for bravery during peace or war, and to civilians (male or female) who displayed bravery during wartime. The individual was usually decorated by the commanding officers in the field. Statistics show that by the end of 1917 well over one million of these medals had been awarded.
Obverse: The bust of the reigning Emperor Nicholas II Reverse: FOR BRAVERY, together with the official number # 1156040 and the fourth class.